Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lattice Apple Pie

I set my alarm clock to 9:30 am, thinking that it would be enough sleep, but when I heard Schubert's Rosamunde, I just turned it off and went back to sleep. :( When I woke up again at 11:30, I leapt off my bed and made pie. I didn't have a rolling pin, so I kept pounding my dough to flatten it. It worked-- to some extent, but it still wasn't flat enough. I ended up with a very thick pie crust. The filling was alright. The crust was good too-- at the parts where it was not too thick. :{

MY ROOM MATE IS EATING CELERY STICKS WITH PEPSI!
And she just called me a jerk. HAHAHAHA

Okay back to blogging. So Chef Jacky Chan and Jonathan came over and made fried rice. Then I tried making fan shu tong sui but stupid me left the bag out on the counter to defrost when the bag clearly said Warning: Do not defrost. I'm such an idiot. So the rice balls all cracked and it became ji ma wu. (Sesame soup?) It's so funny. Everything is funny right now. My whole suite was at the common area a while ago, watching chemistry educational videos. Those were hilarious. Hilarious. I think I'm going to microwave myself some leftovers right now. Let me just post this recipe up for the pie crust.

Grandma's Pie Crust
Yields: 1 full crust, and one bottom crust.
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 3/4 cups shortening
  • 3 tbsp white sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup water
  1. Dry ingredients in a bowl, and cut in the shortening with two knives or a pastry cutter. Use your fingers to crumble until it resembles cornmeal.
  2. Beat egg with water and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Form into a ball of dough that can be rolled out. If it is too dry, add a bit of water at a time.
To make a lattice top, visit this website: http://elise.com/recipes/archives/005134how_to_make_a_lattice_top_for_a_pie_crust.php


No comments:

Post a Comment