Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cream of Mushroom

Long time no post! I decided to make some cream of mushroom this morning now that I've settled comfortably in my campus apartment. Warm, delicious, and mushroomy. Really, what could have been better? Yes, my new home-away-from-home is now in La Jolla/San Diego and I love my apartment! This week is zero week or welcome week and there have been campus dances and activities going on every hour of the day. It's been crazy and pretty fun. I think that I finally am getting excited for my classes! Last night the engineers gathered at the Warren Mall and grooved to the Beach Boys with glowsticks and free stuff. Awesome? I am waiting for the UnOlympic rally to begin in half an hour so I'm just killing time. Having a kitchen here is a kind of luxury-- I can't wait to try out the oven. (Just hope it works) Anyways, cream of mushroom! Here's how:

Cream of Mushroom (makes 2 servings)

  • 5 Italian mushrooms
  • 2/3 cup chicken broth, low sodium
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • salt + white pepper to taste
  • 1/4 tsp oregano + chives
  • 1/2 cup half n half
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tbsp sour cream
  • diced chicken breasts

Directions:

  1. In pot melt butter and add flour for roux. Then slowly add in the chicken broth so that the roux does not form clumps and wait for soup to come to a boil. Then add cream and half n half.
  2. Add the sour cream, stir.
  3. Salt and pepper to taste. Then the herbs, mushroom, and chicken. Wait a minute or two until done and serve. Garnish with parsley flakes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment