Not much personal commentary this time. I'll just feed you the recipe:
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (equivalent to 1 packet)
- 1/4 cup (olive) oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten (reserve 2 tbsp for egg wash)
- 1 cup warm milk (110-115 degrees F)
Making the Buns:
- Warm the milk to 110 degrees F, then proof the yeast by pouring packet of yeast into warm milk ~ about 10 minutes until yeast becomes frothy.
- In large bowl combine flour and sugar. Add yeast/milk and mix.
- Add salt, oil, melted butter and eggs.
- For detailed instructions on how to knead, rise and proof dough, read http://thegreenwasabi.blogspot.com/2009/09/some-serious-dough.html
- *** While dough is completing its first rise, proceed to pineapple bun topping instructions ***
- For a medium pineapple bun, divide to 2 oz pieces and shape into a slightly flat sphere. Oil aluminum foil before placing dough.
- Remove topping dough from its bowl and pull apart a piece large enough to cover a bun. Then using enough all-purpose flour, flatten topping dough into round disk and place over proofing dough. Criss-cross the top with a sharp knife and egg wash the buns.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. After proofing dough for 30-40 minutes (starting from the time you punch the air out of your dough after its first rise) bake for 5 minutes in 375 degrees F heat. Then lower temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Pineapple Bun Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add yolk, baking powder/soda, and milk. Mix well.
- Add flour, mix until incorporated.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and chill until needed.