Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tiramisu, the Alternative Recipe

I made Tiramisu last time with raw eggs. It was light, very moussy, but I didn't like the yolky aftertaste. So I figured I'd try it another way-- the way Tiramisu is commonly made-- with heavy cream. I decided to consult sweary chef, Gordon Ramsay, who provided a general "quick" recipe (with no measurements) to which I followed. However, being the thrifty wannabe chef that I am, I wanted to stretch my Mascarpone money. Thus, I used twice the cream to the same amount of cheese.

And as a side note, strawberries were on sale everywhere yesterday! I thought they were already out of season, but I guess not? I happily bought two boxes of ripe strawberries, one of which was made into strawberry jam last night; the other, used to top my Tiramisu, as shown on the right :)

Tiramisu II:

  • 250 grams Mascarpone cheese (9 oz)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tsp Marsala wine or Brandy
  • 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup dark, strongly brewed coffee or expresso, chilled
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 6 tbsp confectioner's sugar
  • Ladyfingers/Savoiardi biscuits, crunchy
  • Bar of frozen, bittersweet chocolate
  • Cocoa powder


What to do:
  1. Have two bowls ready. In one bowl scrape out Mascarpone cheese from its container and set aside, to soften.
  2. In other bowl combine cream and confectioner's sugar together, whisk until thick but does not form peaks. (do not overwhip)
  3. In Mascarpone bowl, add vanilla extract and wine. Mix well.
  4. Then add the 1/2 cup of coffee, in thirds, incorporating slowly.
  5. Next fold the Mascarpone into the cream using a rubber spatula. Don't worry if mixture appears to be watery, it will set within minutes in the refrigerator .

  6. The 1/4 cup of coffee should be poured into a shallow bowl for dipping. Dip the Ladyfingers/biscuits very quickly in the coffee.
  7. Layer on the bottom, cream, layer, cream, chocolate shavings then cocoa powder. Refrigerate for > 20 minutes. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment