Saturday, September 26, 2009

Spam Onigiri, Japanese Rice Balls

One of the great things about living away from home is that I get to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want. Say, for example, spam onigiri for dinner on the sofa with my laptop and feet on the coffee table. I didn't really feel like going out to eat (neither did my apartment-mates) so we grabbed some rice seasoning and rice vinegar from Earl's Market and made some rice balls. Next time I will try making different flavors like smoked salmon-- mmMm :)

Well hey, nobody really needs a "recipe" for making rice balls but I'll just post up the ratio of rice to vinegar and sugar:

Sushi Rice
  • 3 cups sushi rice
  • 3 tbsp less 1 tsp rice vinegar
  • 3 tbsp sugar
Easy to remember right? Sugar will dissolve naturally in the acid but you can always heat it up in the microwave to speed up the process. Also remember to use wooden or glass bowls to mix the vinegar+rice! That's all folks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment