Sunday, September 27, 2009

Omurice and Curry Rice

Another very easy recipe that makes a good Sunday brunch. Omurice is Japanese for tasty omlette filled with rice :) I know I pretty much fail at making omlettes because they always fall apart before I can get it out of the frying pan. But this time, this time-- I was hoping it would be different. But I guess not. I was watching Cooking with Dog this morning and I thought that I just had to make some of that omurice. I didn't really follow that recipe since I figured I probably won't have half the stuff she's using anyways. And since I am a college student living at school, my ingredients are always severely lacking. So I made fried rice with whatever I had in the fridge. I didn't have ketchup this morning and how can I make omurice without ketchup? So I decided to go to Earl's Place but it was closed so I went to Canyon Vista and stole a few packets of ketchup :) It generally does not matter what kind of fried rice you put in there, so do whatever you want. I felt like orangey rice today. When I cook and eat I tend to lean towards the vegetarian side just because we don't keep much meat in the freezer. (We only have ice cubes, ice cream, and boxes of waffles) If you're not anything like me and would like some meat in your meals, feel free to add some shrimp or chicken. :)

I know, I know. It's not the best looking omlette, but it tasted pretty good and that's all that matters. I'll make a more visually appealing version next time. I promise.

Fried rice:
Recipes are always in small portions. Makes 2 servings.
  • 1 cup rice (measured before it is steamed)
  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • 1 stalk green onion, chopped
  • 5 mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 shake of crushed basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pulp of 2 tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
  • CHOPPED SPAM!
How:
  1. Oil in pan. When it's hot, add garlic and onion. Sweat onions until translucent.
  2. Mix tomato pulp and ketchup together and add that to pan. Add basil.
  3. Add mushrooms, green onion, and toss in the rice. When the mushrooms are done remove rice from pan and set aside.
Omlette:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup half n half, milk, or water.
After frying the rice:
  1. Beat eggs and cream together. Heat pan to medium heat (I used med-high but it was too much for me) Stir very quickly when it's still liquid to cook the egg evenly.
  2. Add rice. Fold up both sides so that the flaps are still 1.5" away from each other. Carefully slide omlette to the edge of pan and roll it onto the plate.
    Garnish with a salad and maybe some cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
This is the second part to the entry, curry rice! Made with carrots, potato, onion, and curry cubes. Used the leftover fried rice from this morning. Perfect! 1 cup of rice makes for a day's meals.
No greens. I just microwaved that and it was good to go. Too lazy to even turn on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment